Friday, February 4, 2011

Brain Surgery

After the time of the surgery was decided and the room cleared, I remember looking down at Dave and saying, you can't leave me, and starting to cry. Of course he said he wasn't going anywhere and he would be fine. It was a weak moment for me, putting that on him. He needed to focus on healing, not on comforting his whiny wife.
We made lots of phone calls. His sister from Tennessee decided to come for the surgery. My sister offered to come out from California. I was having a very hard time accepting her offer, so she finally just said "I'm coming." My parents would come help after my sister left. I was still in a fog. Trying to decide if I should have Dave moved to a hospital in Phoenix. Everyone in Flag assured us this surgeon was great and we were in good hands. Dave was very lucid and he said he just wanted it done now, he didn't want to wait. So we stayed.
We spent the rest of the day making calls and arrangements and just trying to really grasp what was happening. I am still now trying to fully grasp our reality.
Day 3, Thursday September 9, 2010. Surgery was to be at 2 and he would leave for pre-op at 1. The surgery would only be 2 1/2 hours or so. They were planning a total resection of the tumor, but they would do a quick biopsy to confirm primary brain cancer and know how aggressive they should be. The tumor was in the right frontal lobe, a spot where they could be very aggressive and hopefully not cause any permanent issues with memory or speech or motor skills.
His sister was trying to make it before he went in for surgery, his brother and sister in law would be there as well. I was busy trying to make any last minute calls, and we were getting visits from the doctors and nurses who would be doing the surgery. One of them offered to show Dave his MRI and it was the first time Dave realized the size of the tumor. All conversations about him always involved him, but I hadn't had a car accident and a grand mal seizure and I was having a hard time taking it all in. He had not grasped the magnitude of the situation fully I don't think until he saw that tumor on that screen. He had been so calm, and remained so. But just as they were taking him away I saw the uncertainty in his eyes, for just a moment.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.6

No comments:

Post a Comment