Saturday, February 12, 2011

Love and Marriage 1

I've had a request to share our unique story of love and marriage. I'm not sure how long it will take or how much I want to share, so this is part one.
Dave and I met while I was going to college at NAU. He was born and raised in Flagstaff and I grew up mostly in Northern California. It was my first year at NAU but my second year of college. I only stayed for one semester and found out I was pregnant right after I got back to CA. I was 19 and not interested in a shotgun wedding. Dave and I stayed in touch by phone and letters and cards. I can't remember if he came to visit while I was pregnant, but he came when Tom was born to see his baby boy. I still remember the look on his face the first time he held him. It was as if he was holding a fragile china doll he just knew he was going to crush.
We had grown close over the months of our long distance relationship, and continued to do so. In May of 1986 he drove to CA and brought Thomas and I back to AZ. Five months after that we were married in Flagstaff, next to a trailer home with a bathtub full of beer. It was a nice inexpensive ceremony with family and friends. We were young and poor after all. Two years later we welcomed a baby brother for Tom. Davis came four days after Christmas, best gift ever. In October of 1988 Dave got the job with the Sedona Police Department. 21 1/2 years he had that job and we never could afford to live in Sedona.
About six months after he started that job I believe Dave just woke up one day feeling overwhelmed with his life, his responsibilities. Within days we were separated. I was in shock, never in my wildest dreams thinking I'd ever be divorced. Had I ever imagined this scenario, I figured I'd be drowning in sorrow, oh woe is me, the whole bit. But it actually brought me straight back to the Lord. As a young adult, mother and wife we had never found a church. I have been born again since I was twelve, but drifted from the church after high school. Dave had been raised a catholic, but had no burning desire to attend mass. I had immediately cried out to the Lord, in true anguish. I loved my husband and my little family and had no idea what to do next. So I prayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment