Monday, February 7, 2011

Catch Up

Back to our story.....my sisters and brother in law sat with me while Dave was in surgery. It turned out to be a very quick surgery. Only about an hour and forty five minutes. Which seemed really fast for what I assumed was a very carefully precise procedure. He woke up finishing a conversation he was having with his sister before surgery. That was very encouraging. He had 25 staples in his head, would've been great for Halloween, but he'd have them removed before then, dang it. The doctor did a great job following his hair line so when his hair grew back the scar would be covered. As the days went by the only things he seemed to be having trouble with were time-lines and he was a little shaky and slow. He couldn't remember if certain things happened last week or that morning, he still struggles with that a little now, 5 months later. The shaking, which was more like twitching lasted a while. We still don't know if that was from a medication or the surgery, or the seizure for that matter. And he was definitely in slow motion for a couple of months. He did everything slower, eating, thinking, talking, walking.
Two days after his surgery he pushed himself a little too hard and he had two small seizures in the hallway. Very scary, but praise the Lord he has not had another seizure since then. He is on meds, but I know a lot of brain tumor patients continue to suffer with seizures even after surgery and treatment. Two days after that, which is now six days from the accident, he was able to come home.
I am a crappy housekeeper. I am such a crappy housekeeper that it is the main reason I was hesitant for my sister to come help me with the kids. Thank God she ignored me and came anyway. Our bedroom was a maze of piles. Piles of clothes, newspapers, paperwork, and just general junk and crap. I am not a hoarder, but if I had no family to care for I am sure I would be one in the making. My amazing sister turned it into a real live hospitable bedroom in two days, with three not so cooperative children to care for at the same time. They were protecting their mommy's crap. Especially my oldest daughter, whom I've had more time to influence with my hoarding tendencies. But I had given my sister free reign to toss/give away whatever she wanted. And I promised not to complain or even ask about anything I couldn't find. So she did! Thank you Stephanie, I had a wonderful, pleasant room to bring my recovering husband home to.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.6

2 comments:

  1. My pleasure helping you with the house, I can't cure cancer but I can scrub a toilet!! Love all of you!

    ReplyDelete